Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation
National Training Foundation
25-26 April 2013
Venue: Hotel “Katerina City”, Conference Room “Nobel”, 6 Shluzovaya Naberezhnaya
Moscow, Russian Federation
Working languages: Russian and English
Dear ladies and gentlemen!
National Training Foundation invites you to take part in the International conference «Lessons from Multidimensional Ranking of Russian Higher Education Institutions: from Piloting to Practice». The conference is held to finalize the project «Developing and Approbating a Template Methodology for National Ranking of Higher Education Institutions». The project was implemented for the Russian Ministry of Education and Science in the period from 2011 till 2013. It aimed at developing a comprehensive system of higher education institutions performance external assessment.
The conference participants will discuss results of the template methodology approbation. The deliberation will focus on the methodology application for multiple purposes of HEIs management.
Indicators development and approbation of the approach were carried out in close cooperation with the expert community and universities. More than 100 Russian higher education institutions took part in the approbation. Higher education institutions had the opportunity to comment on the instruments, indicators and the approbation results. Transparency of the assessment process from indicators development to the results presentation is one of the main principles of the methodology. This complies with the international standards for quality that are required for this type of assessment tools.
The interactive process of the indicators development and approbation allowed take into account HEIs’ diversity by adopting a multidimensional ranking approach. It should be noted that the tools which have been developed can be used for a multidimensional ranking, where composite indicators and weighting coefficients are not used for the assessment, and / or for a rating (or several ratings) on selected evaluation areas.
Flexibility of the indicators system is an important condition for further practical application. Indicators comprehensiveness, which forms the basis for a multidimensional ranking, raised criticism as it requires additional resources for data collecting, processing, and verification. However, comprehensiveness underpins the methodology strengths: sensitivity to HEIs diversity, reflexivity of internal institutions’ processes and potential to diagnose strengths and weaknesses of a higher education institution re other HEIs in the system.
The approbation demonstrates that the experts and professional communities are deeply interested in the obtained results. Each university participating in the approbation received a special profile with its results and detailed comparison with other institutions. Thus, the approbation participants had the opportunity to get acquainted not only with their own results (the position they received in the ranking) but also compare themselves with other institutions (the names of universities were coded). The profile data can be used as a basis for decision making on the university strategic development.
In the plenary meetings and round tables the conference participants will discuss several vital issues:
1. The approbation results of the template methodology for multidimensional ranking.
2. The role of international academic rankings for development of comparative analysis and assessments of HEIs and systems in global context.
3. The role of academic rankings for higher education systems governance and managing institutions’ transformations in diverse national contexts.
4. The potential of the developed methodology for assessment of HEIs in the national context.
5. The Indicators variability in the national higher education system assessment within the multidimensional approach.
6. The multidimensional approach application for monitoring transformational processes in the national higher education system.
7. Multidimensional ranking and demands of a wide target audience.
8. Future application of the developed multidimensional ranking methodology.
9. The ranking results visualization and developing an information resource of the national multidimensional ranking system.
10. Recommendations for application of the developed multidimensional ranking methodology for various stakeholders.
More detailed information on the international conference is presented in the programme.